Thursday, November 5, 2009

Coming out of the closet

Hello, my name is Brittany and I'm a veggie-addict.

Ever find yourself with $20 left in your bank account with 10 days before payday? Well, I get into this situation all too often (I have a shopping problem) and so I spend a week or so getting creative about the food I have in my little kitchen. I tend to cook enough for a small family, when I cook for just myself in reality, so I take leftovers for lunch a couple days after. I found out I was out of spinach yesterday, and low on peas, corn, green beans, cauliflower... and I was also out of broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and brussel sprouts. Oh no!

To survive the next ten days, I needed a quick staples shopping trip: soymilk, onions, canned tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and seven 2-pound bags of frozen vegetables. Yes, I will most likely finish them off. I have a vegetable addiction, and its a problem. I usually do farmer's markets, but I always keep my frozen veggies stocked as well. They are so cheap and convenient!

Tonight, I used up some butternut squash (how I am not sick to death of squash and apples, I do not know) with onion garlic, sage and spinach over Israeli couscous and some tuna patties that I made on my new grill pan. I wasn't expecting much from them, but they actually turned out really delish. Its a shame I tend to just throw things in a bowl when I make patties or meatballs, and so I don't remember exactly what I used. My guess is: some onion and garlic from the squash mix, non-fat yogurt, bread crumbs, and some shakes of various spices, salt, and pepper. Nothing special, but totally satisfied my meat craving.

Speaking of meat, I don't remember the last time I ate it. I'm trying to focus my diet on plants, and I thought I'd get meat cravings, but I have a new bean obsession that's so very satisfying that I don't miss meat at all!

Plus I have a ton of non-seasoned leftovers of the butternut squash, ready to throw onto pasta, or turn into a curry, or just topped with some cinnamon and devoured on its own.

I am also out of nutella, which I had straight off my fingers for dessert :)

No comments:

Post a Comment