Friday, December 11, 2009

First run

Yesterday, I had my first run in the cold. I've been out for over a month now, with one, awkward test run over a week ago. This time, I was recovering from not only a broken toe, but the flu. My plan for winter training was to run after work, so that I was warmed up from the walk back from the metro. The metro is a good 13 blocks from my apartment, it can be a brisk 20 minute walk, or a nice 25 minute walk... yesterday I may have made it in a record 18 minutes. I was in a skirt and little ballet flats and I was freezing. When I finally got into my apartment, I loathed the thought of going back out, except at least I got to put pants on!

I may have overdressed a little, but I headed out with my Garmin for a 5 mile run in my Under Armor tights, turtleneck, my north face, gloves and earmuffs on. Unlike my last awkward run, I felt smooth. I focused on my form, how my foot hit the ground, and looked at the pretty lights as I headed out to the National Mall. I checked my Garmin, and my pace was 10:00 min/mi, but I was blocks into it and just warming up.

As I neared the Mall, I looked again, and I had jumped to 9:30 pace. Still not exactly fast, but I was starting to warm up. I love the stretch of the National Mall, and seeing the monuments lit up. It was empty and I took off, focusing on keeping my stride short, but my legs moving fast. 9:00.... 8:45.... the Mall was empty and I was so excited to be running again that I threw my arms out and mentally yelled, WOO HOOO!!

As I looped the Washington Monument, my pace was hitting 8:15/8:00 and I felt great. My biggest motivation at spinning classes was that when I started running again, I didn't want it to be too hard. I didn't want to hate it. I didn't want to get discouraged. I soared down the National Mall and got to pass this on my way home:


(picture courtesy of google)

This morning, I woke up early from a weird dream, and went out for a couple mile run. Man I missed morning workouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment