Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Resting is Training

As training looms in my near future, starting mid-December, I can't help but think about all the awesome workouts I will do, and the reality of a 25 minute PR. Mostly, I think I can do this, because I will actually be doing speed-work this time around. Boston training will provide the base mileage (gulp) for ultra training.

I'm forgetting that, yes, 70 mile weeks will mean I can eat whatever I want, but I need to incorporate rest. I need to work up to this slowly. I swear I'm developing OCD to keep from getting injured again, because I can't handle this time off.

Next week, I'm throwing in some 3-5 mile runs to my cross-training, and then I just need to slowly add the miles over the next 8 months. I want to give myself more time off, and if I'm still sore from the day before, to rest. Its hard to do things in moderation, but I need to remember that resting is training.

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! Good luck to all Turkey Trot runners, I will be on a plane that morning, so no racing for me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for following my blog! I see you plan to start running again after this weekend, so welcome back to the herd.

    Planning to cut 25 minutes from your marathon time and doing 70 mile weeks is very ambitious; most people will tell you not to try - I say just be very careful.

    ReplyDelete