Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011

Looking at my 2010 goals post I realized that this year was a big failure... in the best way. I got promoted instead of getting a new job, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life, I'm not out of debt (and never will be with my student loans), and I did not get a marathon PR.

I did finish my 100 mile race, and last year I said " I would love to do Grindstone on my birthday, but I want to work toward a better marathon PR. ... Its a hard goal to give up, since I said that I'd do it, but I really will one day! Its just not the best for this year." I also said "I love running with all I have, so I'm doubting whether I'd be good at storing my energy for something like a 100k or 100M race." Silly Brittany had decided against something she never tried!

Seeing as I didn't do anything I planned on doing last year, is there really a point to this post. Do I need to recap my year and outline goals for 2011?

Why not?

My Goals:
  1. Start running again. (Kind of important)
  2. Two 100M finishes: MMT and Pine to Palm
  3. Place in an ultra. (I always get 4th or 5th and it's kind of annoying)
  4. Run in all minimalist shoes.
  5. Keep up strength training year-round.
  6. Get out West for a race at altitude (and a vacation).
  7. Don't get injured.
I think these are good goals. I just need to get my IT Band healthy!

(Running miles by month. Don't include hiking miles.)
I said 2010 was a failure, but it really was a great year. I jumped into trail running, ultras, and I discovered something I love even more than road running. I didn't get any PRs, but I reached new distance goals with my first 50k, 50M, and 100M races. I also ran a fast 20k in 1:31. I placed fourth in my first 50k and fifth in my first 100M. I pushed myself more than I ever had, and learned a lot. Not just about trail running, but about what I'm capable of.

Daily Mile provided a page with all my 2010 stats: http://www.dailymile.com/people/BrittanyZ/training/2010/summary

10 Things I did in 2010:
  1. Ran 1,453 miles.
  2. Burned off 1,066 doughnuts.
  3. Raced 6 ultras.
  4. Raced 3 marathons.
  5. New distance PRs at 101.87 miles (32:03), 50 miles (11:20), and 50k (6:33).
  6. Did one 5k at the exact time as my last (and first) one. Damn.
  7. Learned how to swim.
  8. Got promoted (twice).
  9. Moved into a group house with awesome access to Rock Creek Park.
  10. Lost my anal virginity.*
*Kidding. That was 2009.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you didn't think your year was a failure. You did some amazing things.
    Haha was #10 to see if we were paying attention?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty awesome year, to be able to jump into ultras and dominate like that is awesome! Good luck and happy trails!
    @runtherailsCO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was confused...must have seen last year's post and wondered how you could call that a FAIL! You've learned a super-important thing -- never say never and things will go your way. I ran across this today and loved it:
    http://dorthybitestoto.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/i-never-thought/?blogsub=confirming#subscribe-blog

    ReplyDelete